The Job Jobber
PROTECTION & CONTROLS INTEGRATION ENGINEER - PORTLAND OR
Our client is an industry leader in electrical testing, maintenance and engineering services helping utilities, industrial, financial and government clients throughout the United States improve the reliability and performance of their electrical distribution systems. They offer a full range of services including complete electrical distribution system commissioning and start-up services, acceptance and maintenance testing, project management, engineering studies, and electrical and safety training.
Our client is currently seeking an experienced Integration Engineer to support our Protection & Controls (P&C) service offerings in the Portland OR area. Candidates must live or be willing to relocate within 50 miles of this area to be considered for this position.
P&C engineers require a substantial amount of specialized expertise, including power system studies, software and hardware engineering, interface protocols, and general problem solving skills. The problems to be solved have not been solved before except in the broadest sense. Projects will include new and challenging problems with an input from a broad range of engineers where the P&C engineer "pulls it all together."
- Develop and maintain an expert level of technical expertise in electric power system protection and automation.
- Work closely with design, vendor, utility, regulatory agency, operators, owners, contractors, and protection engineers to create system programming which translates the owners requirements into concrete technical designs.
- Develop settings for all layers of control including; protective relaying, communication processors, Human Machine Interface (HMI)
- Simulate power system conditions in a lab environment to test communications and automation functionality of integrated IEDs and software packages.
- Serve as a technical resource for the company's Field Engineers during installation, commissioning and operation of the electric power system protection and automation systems.
- Use specialized software to model complex generation, transmission and distribution systems to predict dynamic system response, illustrate proper coordination and determine compliance with NERC standards.
- Use industry accepted CAD software to generate and document system drawings and protective device calculations.
- Write complete, detailed reports using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
- Perform sales support functions.
- Customer interfacing, ability to understand customer needs and translate into quote specifications and drawings.
- Work within the company's processes to solicit materials quotes from third-party manufacturers and fabricators
- Create/modify technical specifications for major equipment, such power transformers, power circuit breakers, control house, and other high-voltage substation related equipment and materials.
- Champion quote development, complete order forms, specification documents, proposals, pre-sale technical reviews, quote review, and proposal submission
- Confident, must support sales teams by presenting proposed solutions to clients.
Required Education and Experience
- Graduate Engineer BSEE and eight years experience in design, testing and commissioning of protection and automation systems.
- Three years experience as Power Systems Engineer
- Registered Engineer In Training (EIT/FE) and the ability to obtain PE licensure within 1 year.
- Strong knowledge of the National Electrical Code and various industry standards, such as NERC, IEEE, OSHA and NFPA.
- Requires special skills in a majority of the following:
- Generation and co-generation start-up,
- computer power system transient surveys,
- medium and high voltage substation start-up
- pilot wire and distance relaying,
- vector, phasor analogy,
- complex control systems,
- Strong background and experience in all types of switchgear and equipment through the 500 kV class.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical apparatus testing with a strong theoretical understanding of electrical power systems, and good aptitude for problem evaluation.
- Complete projects consistently on budget.
- Requires a high degree of communication, supervisory, and organizational skills.
- Communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with clients, peers and management.
- Good judgment, dependable, supervises large-scale projects with technical expertise and good business management skills.
- Strong computer skills including editing, formatting and using templates in Microsoft Office Suite, use of Manufacturer specific software and documentation of design within AutoCad.
- Willing to work flexible hours, weekends, holidays and night work. Must be available for out-of-town and international travel of up to several weeks.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear, and smell. Frequently required to sit, climb and balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, basic color differentiation and the ability to adjust focus.
- Valid Driver's License with clean driving record.
Apply for this job, view similar jobs, and more at http://www.portlandrecruiter.com/engineering-jobs/434565839/protection-controls-integration-engineer!