The Zoo Interpreter provides care, and training for the educational animal collection at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, while also being a part of two on-grounds education show productions and travelling shows away from the zoo.
- Regular and predictable attendance is expected and required. All Cleveland Metroparks employees must be prepared to work flexible schedules, including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
- Provides Animal Care such as cleaning and feeding for Zoo animals: checks the health status of all animals after arriving for work and then again before departing; cleans animal food and water bowls; prepares animal diets and cleans diet containers; cleans animal enclosures and assists in training other staff members and volunteers in animal care.
- Provides animals with mental and physical stimulation: with training, toys, exercise, enclosure furniture; trains new innovative and natural behaviors that displays the animals' natural abilities; trains animal husbandry behaviors that allow better care; creates and animal enrichment schedule for educating the animals.
- Participates in animal shows: taking place on the zoo grounds in the Savanna Theater or Ballarat Theater) from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day; participates on grounds in Boo at the Zoo shows for two weekends in October; participates in travelling school and events shows away from the zoo.
- Performs daily record keeping: makes notes of all animal activity in three education areas and submits to education and animal care managers; observes animals for any abnormal activity and reports to supervisors in person and on reports
- Associates Degree in Zoology, Biological Sciences or a related field required; supplemented by one year of experience in Zoo or Animal Habitat environment; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess a valid driver's license under the laws of the State of Ohio.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, including employees and the general public.
- Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Management skills and strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs and meet deadlines, collaboration, leadership, decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Proficiency in software programs including all Microsoft Office programs.
- Mature professional attitude and considerable discretion, including ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability to perform with considerable independence and initiative.
- Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
Filing Deadline: August 23, 2017
Apply for this job, view similar jobs, and more at http://www.clevelandrecruiter.com/other-jobs/434565641/zoo-interpreter-show-staff!